The sun is out and it’s time to get the pups out. As the holiday season has ended and school is starting to come to a close, it’s time to book your Summer vacations. For some dog parents it can be another added stressor trying to figure out what to do with your 4 legged family member. Before you call the dog sitter or boarding facility I want to encourage to think twice and instead of leaving Fido at home, bring your dog with you.
As a dog “Dad” and somebody that spent 2 months traveling the West Coast with my new wife and 3 dogs, I wanted to compile a list of the top 5 Reasons Traveling With Your Dog Is 5 Times Better!
1. You don’t need to worry about them while your gone. Vacation is about relaxing and getting some peace of mind, it makes it a bit harder to do this when you are checking your phone for updates from the dog sitter.
2. They appreciate it. Dogs find excitement in the littlest things and it makes the trip that much more exciting. You begin to find more joy in the little things you may take for granted or would not have noticed. I’ll also add that if you are traveling for a long period of time or get home sick, your dog’s excitement and fresh perspective daily can rub off on you.
3. They keep you active. We all enjoy some R&R but its nice to get outside and enjoy the fresh air, a hike, the beach or just a walk around to see the area.
4. Socialize with new friends (or not). Option 1: Dogs are people magnets. We always joke that when we moved somewhere new with Zoey no one would have talked to us without her. Dogs allow you to meet new people and make new friends on vacation easier… who doesn’t love a well behaved cute dog? Option 2: They make a great companion when you don’t want to talk to people as well, excuse yourself from social gatherings to go walk or play with your dog for some quality bonding time and break from the crowds.
5. Bonding. There is no subsitute for the bond and memories you’ll share while traveling with your dog. The excitement, the laughter and just the time to not feel rushed is irreplacable. To add to that would be the bonding other family members can do with your dog. A well trained dog is also welcomed at family member’s homes, everyone loves an obedient, loving dog and it’s exciting watching other people bond and love your dog as much as you do.
Humans live in the future and the past. Dogs live in the moment. I think they are the best travel companians in the world. I hope you’ll rethink boarding them on your next trip and consider taking them on your next journey. – Phill Kensington